Saturday, October 29, 2016

DIY Aqua Velvet Pumpkin

This is my favorite part of Halloween, 
the decorating and carving of pumpkins.
For my kids it was always the cleaning the seeds out,
and getting to cut the pumpkins up
into scary or silly faces.


For me it is all about the glow.
That eerie, spooky glow,
that warns you there's
danger nearby, lurking
in the dark!

Today, it's all about the pumpkin!
I'm sharing with you how I turned,
the prettiest shade of aqua velvet
( I like the color orange,
but I love the color aqua)
into the sparkly cutest,
little stuffed pumpkin, that
you can hold in your hands!



This time of year I searched all of the fabric stores, in my area, and couldn't find aqua
velvet. I then turned my search online and found a store on Etsy that sold exactly the amount I wanted. Bonus points, because the fabric is hand dyed.
Other items that I used, were driftwood, I picked up at Hobby Lobby, ( you could use
a real pumpkin stem, and let it completely dry about 24-48 hours after you cut it from the pumpkin).
Some ribbon and a sparkling, rhinestone button or other embellishment.

The fabric Etsy shop owner is Suzanne Morgan, and she sells the most gorgeous hand dyed fibers. I'm actually looking for Christmas at her jeweled color fabrics
 to add to my velvet pumpkin collection.
Let's face it, you can't just have only one!



First I started with a 9x9 inch square of fabric and made it into a circle.

Next, I baste stitched around the edge of the circle about 1/4 inch from the edge of the fabric, 
going all the way around. Pull the thread slightly, not too tight! Do not knot the end just yet!

Here's a quick video to show how to baste stitch by hand!

<

The next step, is to fill the pumpkin. I used small Great White dried Northern Beans, filled about
halfway. The remaining half, I used some soft Fiber Filler. I then, pulled the thread tighter, closing
the gap, and making the cinched hole the same size as my driftwood piece, I then knotted the piece of thread, and cut the string.

Using hot glue, glue the peice of driftwood and rest it on top of the cinched opening, or set it inside, just a bit. Let that dry for about 5-10 minutes.

To finish your velvet pumpkin, embellish it with some ribbons, and a rhinestone button.



It sounds silly, but I couldn't stop holding it, and
kept calling it, "My Precious"
Spooky, right?

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. 
If you did, be sure to check back soon.
I will be showing part of what will be
my Thanksgiving Tablescape!

Enjoy your weekend!

Follow along,

 photo facebook 1_zpsd8r2j7ow.png photo pinterest_zpszfmqax5b.png photo twitter_zps5r2boynk.png photo tumblr_zpsrgzgt44z.png

No comments:

Post a Comment